13 September 2010

I have an opinion on opinions.

I have an opinion on opinions.

Why do people feel it necessary to agree with each other and not actually discuss things? I don't want to argue, and I'm not fond of debating. I don't want to have one person playing devil's advocate or another person using petty trivia as argument. However, I do appreciate an educated, unemotional conversation about a topic of interest, where all parties enter with information and an open mind, and both leave with knew insight (whether their opinions are the same or not).

I told someone I wrote a blog. I wasn't expecting much of a response, I was just answering the 'whatchabeenupto' question:

"Actually, I decided the next step in my growth - now that I'm forming opinions on things - is to verbalize what I think. So I started an anonymous blog!"

"Oh? What do you write about?"

"Well, my first opinion was on vegetarianism, but I'm going to be writing about all sorts of things. Whatever I have an opinion about."

She asked, "What did you write about it? What's your opinion?"

"On vegetarianism? Oh, I just wrote about how our bodies are not designed to be vegetarian. Like how we need things that we can't get from vegetables. Like B12 - just because the label says it's in stuff doesn't mean that it's in a form that our systems can use. We need to get it from meat.  And I said that if people are so upset about the meat industry, they should pay more for animals that are well cared for. If you want cows to be treated as well as pets, that's expensive."

"You sound like a crazy person."

I stared at her for a moment, then turned away and we both watched TV for a few minutes before I turned back to her. I find, in my newly opinionated state, I am less able to just let things go, to let things slide. I wanted her to put a little effort into her response. I mean, I hadn't even mentioned the part where I contemplate the possibility of self-aware rocks.

So I asked her, "What do you mean, 'a crazy person'?"

"Well, you're just going on, and ..." She shrugs, apparently unsure why I sound crazy.

"Because I have an opinion?"

"Well..." She faltered to a pause that turned into silence.

I asked, "Don't you have any opinions about things?"

"Sure, but ..." (another shrug)

I tried not to sound offensive or harsh because I know that she is just like so many other people out there, myself included, that have been hiding their own thoughts or even avoiding having independent thoughts for fear others will think poorly of them.

"But you don't share them," I said. "Because if you did people would say you sound crazy?"

She smiles in response. I'm a funny woman.

I smile and say, "That's why my blog is anonymous."

But why does it have to be? I plan to discuss hot topics like religion, abortion, prostitution, high-heeled shoes, woman's lib, politics, and bottled water. And my opinions will not always be the norm. I find that, once I start thinking for myself, I no longer blend into the crowd. And people, the Great Majority, will be angry with me or sad for me or be offended by me.

So I still keep my actual mouth shut, even if my virtual mouth is flappin'. I don't want to inflict my opinion on others unless they seek it out. Because I am not out to change the world just now. I'm just here, trying to find out who I am and what I think. If falling in line makes you feel better, then keep it up! And if you truly believe in the same things other people do, that's great too!

Personally, I have found that I feel much more like a Person if I look into things enough to form my opinions. What is the point of sitting around like an old sheep? Why live if I'm just a lemming, heading toward to cliff without a worry in the world other than stepping out of line? So in public, I will keep working to get along well with others. If you ask me, I will give you my opinion. But if no one asks, I won't.

Here, I will practice my individuality. And I hope to be tasked by you, my anonymous friends, to come up with opinions on other topics - things I haven't put thought into yet. Go ahead and ask me! Let's see what I say!

Willow Tree

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to say that I totally agree with you ;-)

    Also, a lot of people think that anyone who writes a blog is crazy (or self-obsessed) but it is just us putting ourselves and our thoughts and opinions out there.

    Keep it up and I'll be back to see your opinions... and have a discussion on occasion!

    J.J.

    ReplyDelete